What are the different sections of this exam?
Inspection - mouth, teeth, neck
Palpation - neck, inside mouth, glands
Percussion - thyroid swelling
Auscultation - carotid bruits, thyroid bruit
What preparations should be made before starting the exam?
Glass of water present
Patient exposed down to clavicles and sitting
Any jewellery removed
What is looked for on inspection?
- lips, cyanosis, angular stomatitis, other lesions e.g. BCC
- inside mouth - dentition, floor, palate, inside of cheeks, parotid duct opening (say aah)
- oropharynx, uvula, tonsillar folds, tonsils - stick out tongue and move side to side
- underside of tongue, frenulum, submandibular duct opening
- scars, swelling
- movement with tongue protrusion/swallowing
What is palpated?
- tracheal position
- palpate lateral and anterior neck
- note and describe any swellings
- underneath tongue
- inside of cheeks
- salivary glands (submandibular)
- substance of tongue