Flashcards in Music History RCM Level 5 Deck (27)
When did George Frederic Handel live?
During what era did GF Handel live?
the Baroque era
Where in the world did GF Handel live?
What was GF Handel famous for composing?
Italian operas and English oratorios
When was GF Handel's oratorio, "Messiah" composed?
What is an oratorio?
- a large scale choral work
- usually sacred and based on a biblical story
- components include an overture, recitatives, arias and choruses
- performed in a concert setting, without costumes, staging or scenery
What is a chorus?
- a vocal composition, often included in oratorios and other large-scale choral works
- often written for 4 voices: soprano, alto, tenor and bass (SATB)
soprano - female voice, high in register
alto - female voice, low in register
tenor - male voice, high in register
bass - male voice, low in register
What is the "Hallelujah Chorus"?
One of the most recognizable compositions ever written. It is about the jubilation at the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
What is the genre of the "Hallelujah Chorus"?
chorus from an oratorio
Who are the performing forces in the "Hallelujah Chorus"?
SATB chorus, accompanied by orchestra
What is the text source for the "Hallelujah Chorus"?
the New Testament of the Bible
What emotions can you identify from the "Hallelujah Chorus"?
expansive, joyful, majestic,
What words are repeated many times in the "Hallelujah Chorus"?
for ever and ever
What is used to depict the meaning of the text in vocal music?
When did Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart live?
Did Mozart live a long and full life?
No. He was a child prodigy and died at the age of 35
What was Mozart's favourite genre of music?
Describe an opera
- a play set to music
- performing forces include soloists, chorus, orchestra
- scenery, costumes and lighting are combined with the music to tell the story
What is an aria?
- a solo song in an opera or oratorio
- allows the character to express his or her feelings and emotions
What is the name of Mozart's final opera?
The Magic Flute "Die Zauberflote"
What are some characters in The Magic Flute?
- beautiful princess
- wise high priest
- fanciful bird catcher
- ferocious queen
- brave young prince
Describe the "Queen of the Night" aria
written for coloratura soprano, who must be trained to sing virtuosic passages of music
- in the key of D minor
- tremolando chord sets a menacing tone at the opening
- vocal line changes direction, making the Queen sound vengeful, and demonstrating the singer's virtuosity
- lots of grace notes, arpeggios, and high notes that are outside of a typical soprano range
What is the "Queen of the Night" aria about?
seeking revenge on the high priest, The Queen of the night asks her daughter to kill him
Who was Harold Arlen
- American Popular Music composer
- wrote music heard in night clubs, on Broadway and in Hollywood movies
- wrote more than 500 songs
* Get Happy
* Stormy Weather
* Somewhere over the Rainbow
What is verse-chorus structure?
- common song structure in pop music
- verses develop the storyline and the chorus is a tuneful refrain
Who performs the classic "Over the Rainbow"
Judy Garland, as Dorothy