Flashcards in Optic atrophy in an opiate abuser Deck (6)
What is Heroin?
An opiate that produces a rush, euphoria and tranquility
common ocular finding for opiate abuser?
pin point pupils
Findings for 20yr old at clinic? How does she present?
- VAs: 20/20-2 O.D. and20/15 O.S
- Unaware of the mild gradual painless vision loss OD
- 20% red desaturation O.D.
- pupils were normal in response and size.
- Ishihara color vision test was normal.
- OD optic nerve revealed an area of temporal pallor
- Admits to 2 and a half years of heroin addiction and concomitant alcohol abuse.
- In a drug rehab program, clean for 30 days.
What is one ocular hallmark that you expect to find in an opiate abuser?
visual fields central or centro-cecal field defects.
In addition, what could have brought on the vision loss?