What is oxalic acid and where is if found?
- Naturally occuring acid molecule found in plants
- Simple organic molecules
- Sometimes can cause bad health effects
- Rubarb has high levels in the leaves
- Small amounts found in spinach, kiwi and corriander
Structure on the oxalic molecule?
- Similar to lactic and acetic acid
- Is diprotic (can ionise twice). Therefor is a relativly stong acid
- Causes a sour taste
Nutritional effect of oxalates in humans?
- Can make calcium unavailable by formation of insoluable salts. In our bodies, kidney stones
Oxalates solubility on water
- There are different oxalates and they vairy in solubility
some examples are: oxalic acid, Ca oxalate (insoluble), Mg oxalate, K oxalate (most soluble) and Na oxalate