How can you make an electromagnet using an iron core, wire, battery to separate a pile of paperclips and bits of paper.
- Wrap the wire around an iron nail.
- Connect it to the battery.
- Iron paperclips will be attracted to the electromagnet, paper will not.
- Move the electromagnet over the pile of paperclips and paper
- Move the electromagnet away and turn off the battery to allow the paperclips to drop.
- Repeat until all the iron has been removed leaving a pile of copper.
How can you make an electromagnet stronger?
Add more loops of copper wire around the core.
Increase the current going through the coil of wire.
Use a magnetic metal as the electromagnet core (Iron, Nickel, Cobalt)
How do you turn an electromagnet on and off?
Switch the electric current on or off.
For an electromagnet to have a magnetic field a _______ must be flowing through the coil of wire around the core.
Electromagnets usually have a magnetic material in the centre of a coil of wire called a...
Most electromagnet cores are made from...
What is the pro and con of using iron as an electromagnet core?
Pro: It is easy to magnetise.
Con: It loses its magnetism easy.
What is the pro and con of using a steel core in an electromagnet?
Pro: it keeps its magnetism even after you switch off the electromagnet.
Con: it is difficult to magnetise
Compare permanent magnets and electromagnets.
You can turn an electromagnet on and off.
You can make electromagnets that are much stronger than permanent magnets.