HVLA in kids?
• HVLA relatively contraindicated for ANYONE who has hypermobile Joints, this includes the kiddos!!
• Kids should not do ME, why?
They cannot follow directions!!! Think of Score 1 People!!!
What cranial n get messed up with birth? And effects?
- Cranial N. IX, X, XI exit through the Jugular Foramen, so birth can mess with these
- Tongue Motion, poor sucking (XII and IX)
- Intestinal Peristalsis cause constipation, GERD, Contribute to Colic (CN X)
- SCM/Trapezius M. Cause Torticollis (CN XI)
Spine of infants?
• Babies got larger Lordosis to hold their fat big heads!! The thoracic K. and Lumbar will take TIME to form
When do fontanelles close?
- Posterior 2-3
- Sphenoid 6 months
- Mastoid 6-18 months
- Anterior 12-36 Months
Temporal Bone affects the MOST CN N’s (explain)
o Internally rotated Temporal Bone → inc. likelyhood of Otitis Media
o Most Common SD of Kids
o Eustachian tube flatter in infant than adults
At birth the occiput is composed of how many bones?
OMT in infants - what type do you use?
indirect treatments, condylar decompression is good
- Head is wider than long
- Back of head flat not curved
- Vertical or Flexion Strain associated
- Head is long and narrow
5. Extension Strain
- Caused by Spinal Accessory N. Irritation (jugular Foramen)
- Sternocleidomastoid M. shorted/ropy
- Trt OA and Clavicles
Constipation in infants?
• Babies will cry when they have bowel movements, means they are not constipated do not add more parasympathetics!
-if they have hard stools and few then think constipation