Flashcards in Pfeiffer - Airway Management Deck (22)
- Nasopharynx - delicate turbinates (careful for nasopharyngeal)
- Oropharynx - hyoid bone
- Hypopharynx @ level of epiglottis!
Larynx - @ cricothyroid cartilage
(Hyoid >> CT >> crycoid)
Importance of observation
Describe the use of supplemental oxygen: indications
Describe the use of supplemental oxygen: contraindications
Describe the use of supplemental oxygen: advantages
Describe the use of supplemental oxygen: disadvantages
Predictors of difficulty in mask vent
Predictors of difficulty in endotracheal intubation
Essential components of airway kit
What is the most important trauma care task?
Initial airway magmt
Basic Airway Maneuvers
- Modified jaw thrust **do not extend the neck to open airway!
- Jaw lift
Goal: bring posterior tongue off pharyngeal wall
- **Naspharyngeal - can use in anyone**
- **Oropharyngeal - person must be unconscious**
- Blind Insertion Airway Device
- Endotraceal intubation
What is RSI?
Rapid sequence intubation - doc MUST steal the airway from the pt. BMV ventilation first
MMAP: what is this score?
Mallampati Score - The higher the score, the higher degree of intubation difficulty.
1-entire tonsil or tonsillar bed visible
2-upper half of tonsil or tonsillar bed is visible
3-soft and hard palate are clearly visible.
4- only hard palate visible
Noisy breathing is always indicative of what?
OBSTRUCTION of airway
Difficult BMV ventilation.
B - beards
O - obesity
O - older patients
T - toothlessness
S - snores or stridor
What is MMAP 3-3-1?
3 fingers from chin to hyoid
3 fingers in open mouth
1 finger for lower jaww protrusion
What are three things for MMAP to know?
- Atlanto-Occiputal exstension (if spine injury not expected)
- Pathology - anatomic airway obstruction
Advantage of BMV with reservoir bag?