pharmaceutical packaging Flashcards
What quality control tests are carried out on packaging/products?
2) identification of degradation products
3) loss/gain of moisture
4) microbial levels
What are the advantages of glass?
3) easy to clean/sterilise
4) effective closure
5) high speed handling
6) good rigidity
What are the disadvantages of glass?
2) heavy weight
What are metals used for?
1) to form foil
2) tamper-proof closures
3) aerosol cans
4) tubes for effervescent tablets
What are the most used + most economic plastics?
2) polyvinyl chloride
What are the advantages of plastic?
2) variety of materials
3) variety of fabrications
4) variety of designs
5) variety of physical + chemical properties
What are the disadvantages of plastic?
1) poor physical stability
2) permeability to oxygen/carbon dioxide/moisture
3) electrostatic attraction
4) penetration of light
What is paper and cardboard used for?
Why are cartons used?
1) increases display area
2) better stacking
3) physical protection
What are rubber-based components used for?
closures of sterile products
What are the advantages of natural rubber?
1) reseals well
2) minimal moisture + gas permeability
What are the advantages of synthetic rubber?
1) withstands multiple autoclaving
2) not permeable to moisture + gas