Flashcards in Phylogeny Deck (3)
What is Phylogeny?
- Phylogeny is the name given to the evolutionary relationships between organisms The study of this is called phylogenetics.
- This indicates which group a particular organism is related to, and how closely related these organisms are.
- It is the objective of many scientists to develop a classification system that correctly takes into account the phylogeny of an organism.
- Phylogenetic trees are used to represent the evolutionary relationships between organisms.
- They are branched diagrams, which show that different species have evolved from a common ancestor.
- They are produced by looking at similarities and differences in species' physical characteristics and genetic makeup.