Flashcards in Religion Peace and Conflict (1) Deck (15)
Define unitive ( an ideal of marriage)
It is through the physical union of sex that couple closest to each other
Define Martial ( an ideal of marriage)
When 2 people love each other they usually commit themselves to each other fully and exclusively (no one else)
Marriage is a union between 2 people under the eyes of God
Define Procreative ( an ideal of marriage)
The couple will accept children lovingly from God, giving new life
Physical union between a man and a women
What is a divorce ?
The legal ending of marriage
Define a separation
When 2 people are still married but live separate from each other
What is an annulment?
When the conditions of a marriage were not met therefore the marriage is said not to exist
If you practice chastity, it means you aren’t having sex of any kind, perhaps because you’re waiting until you get married, or maybe because you are a priest
What is the ' Theology of the Body'?
13 teachings set by St Pope John 2 on the human body and relationships between the sexes
Give 2 points for and against "Divorce"?
- when in an abusive relationship (unhealthy)
- adultery, causes them to lose trust
- person changes drastically and are not who you thought they were
- "till death do us apart"
- effects the rest of the family including children (not a healthy environment)
- makes marriage look insignificant and temporary
Give 2 points for and against "annulment"?
- if valid marriage conditions are not met
- it allows people out of marriage if they make a mistake
- "marriage preparation" where couples are informed about marriage by the church (its their fault if they make a mistake)
- hard to prove and it is not practical
- impacts the children (makes them feel like their family is not real)
What are the catholic teachings on "Homosexuality"? And give contrasting views.
- this is not accepted ( or at least gay sex)because sex should be open to the possibility of new life
- the church asks homosexuals to stay "celibate"
- many people believe that homosexuals should have the same rights as "normal" couples
- church of England allows civil partnerships
What are the catholic teachings on "Sex before marriage"? And give contrasting views.
- not accepted
- sex is the final step in joining a married couple and sex before marriage makes it more insignificant
- others believe casual sex is fine as long as it doesn't cause emotional harm
- contraception has allowed this to be more acceptable/ common