Flashcards in S & S of Congenital Diseases and Mental Disorders Deck (36)
S & S Sickle Cell Anemia?
1. intense pain (crisis) in arms legs, or abdomen
S & S of Neural Tube Defects?
1. sac-like protrusion
2. bowel and bladder dysfunction
3. club foot
4. partial paralysis
S & S of Hydrocephalus?
1. Enlarged head
2. Projectile vomiting
3. Abnormal muscle tone in legs
4. High pitch cry
S & S of Cerebral Palsy?
1. muscle contraction
2. Muscle weakness
3. underdeveloped limbs
4. Sudden movements impossible
S & S Cleft Lip and Palate?
1. Left lip
2. Hole in roof of middle of mouth
S & S Tracheoesophageal Fistula (TEF) and Esophageal Artresia?
1. Frothy white bubblers in mouth
3. coughing and choking when eating
S & S of Pyloric Stenosis?
1. Projectile vomiting
2. Palpable mass in epigastric region
3. Dehydration and starvation
S & S Malrotation with Volvulus?
1. Abdominal pain causing infant to draw up legs
2. bloody stools
3. swollen abdomen
4. vomiting of bile
S & S Hirschsprungs Disease?
1. Swollen abdomen, fever
2. watery diarrhea
3. failure to thrive
4. No bowel movement in first 24-48 hours
S & S of Undescended Testes?
1. One or both of testes not palpable during physical exam.
S & S Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy?
1. Muscle deterioration
2. spinal deformaties
4. Waddling gait and weak muscles
S & S of Cystic Fibrosis?
1. Increased sweat production causing salty-tasting skin
2. Thick secretion in small airways and mucus in GI tract
3. frequent respiratory infections
S & S Down Syndrome?
1. Smaller head and rounded corner of eyes
2. Flat nose and excessive skin at nape of neck
3. 1 or 2 creases in hand instead of 3
4. white spots on colored part of eye
S & S of Tourette Syndrome?
1. Facial tics and arm thrusting
2. inappropriate phrases, cursing
3. throat clearing and eye blinking
4. shoulder shrugging
S & S of Depression?
1. sad, anxious, or depressed mood
2. loss of pleasure in most activities
3. weight loss or gain
4. guilt or hopelessness
5. fatigue loss of energy
S & S of Bipolar Disorder?
1. Cyclic emotions of high and lows
2. similar to depression
- sad, fatigue
S & S of Schizophrenia?
1. Delusion and hallucinations
2. Disorganized speech
3. Lack of ambition
4. Lack of personality
S & S of Anxiety Disorder?
1. Unrealistic worry
2. repetitive compulsive behavior
3. ritualistic behavior
3. Irrational fear
S & S of Antisocial Personality Disorder?
1. Disregard for rights of others - violates them
2. lying, seduction, & manipulation
S & S of Borderline Personality Disorder?
1. Attention seeking and excessive emotions
2. Self destructive
3. Mood Swings
S & S of Narcissistic personality disorder?
1. Lack of empathy
2. Inflated view of self
3. Need for admiration and grandiosity
S & S of Avoidant Personality?
1. Feeling inadequate
2. Hypersensitive to criticism
3. Social Inhibition
S & S of Alcohol Abuse?
1. Unable to control drinking even when harmful
2. job loss and marital problems
3. traffic accidents
4. run-ins with the law
S & S of Psychoactive drug addiction?
1. needle marks, scars from abscesses
2. rapid hear rate
3. delusions and hallucinations
4. blurred vision and tremors
What is Intellectual Disability?
Significantly below-average intellectual functioning
S & S of Mild Intellectual Disability?
1. 6th grade level of intellect at time of graduation
S & S of Moderate Intellectual Disability?
1. 2nd grade intellect
2. Difficulty with social and relationships
S & S of Severe Intellectual Disability?
1. Little to no communication skills
2. Live in group homes or families as adults
S & S of Profound Intellectual Disability?
Neurological disorder which requires caregiver and constant supervision.