SC1a - What are the arrangements of particles in each of the three states?
- Solid: Regular and close together
- Liquid: Random and close together
- Gas: Random and far apart
SC1a - What are the movements of particles in each of the three states?
- Solid: Vibrate around a fixed position
- Liquid: Move around each other
- Gas: Fast in all directions
SC1a - What are the names of the two state changes between solid and liquid?
- S→ L is Melting
- L → S is Freezing
SC1a - What are the names of the two state changes between liquid and gas?
- L→ G Evaporating (and Boiling)
- G → L Condensing
SC1a - What are the names of the two state changes between Gas and Solid?
- G → S Deposition
- S → G Sublimation
- During these processes they do not become liquid
SC1a - What is overcome during melting and boiling?
Forces of attraction between particles
SC1a - In a heating curve, at which points will the line be flat?
During Melting and Boiling [phase changes] as the temperature doesn't increase while the forces of attraction are overcome.