Flashcards in Separating Mixtures Deck (5)
• Mixture is poured into a filter funnel, lined with filter paper.
• The water passes through easily.
• The other material cannot and therefore remains stuck on the filter paper.
• Separates a liquid from a mixture of two or more liquids.
• The different liquids have different boiling points.
• When the mixture is heated, one liquid evaporates before the other.
• They are them collected separately.
• Separating liquid from a dissolved solid.
• The solution is boiled.
• The water will evaporate leaving the solid behind.
• Separating dissolved substances from one another.
• Usually used with coloured ink.
• Pencil line and spots of ink/plant dye are placed on paper.
• The paper is lowered into a water/ethanol solvent which travels up the paper.
• The coloured substances are taken with it and are slowly spread apart.