What is complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)?
Any other medical system based on a theory of disesae other than the orthodox science of medicine
Why do people turn to CAM?
- High level of satisfaction reported
- Seen as more holistic
- Persistent symptoms that orthodox medicine cant fix
- adverse effects of conventional treatments
What are concerns of CAM?
- May harm patient
- may risk missed or delayed diagnosis
- practitioner may be unqualified
- Some CAM theories are so absurd they cannot possibly work e.g. homeopathy
What are the arguments for NICE evaluating CAM?
- High public interest
- Some GPs already provide access
- NICE could stimulate higher quality research
What are the arguments against NICE evaluating CAM?
- NHS money limited
- NICE has higher priorities
- Poor quality evidence
Describe the theory of aromatherapy
- Use of essential oils to improve health and promote wellbeing
- Practitioners apply essential oils topically with massage and through inhalation
- 'Works' by stimulating limbic system of midbrain which releases hormones that influence mood
Describe the theory of acupuncture