What are the main components of a modern landfill?
Top to Bottom:
1) Gas vent
2) Clay cap with vegetation
3) Granular drainage material
4) Low permeability liner cap
-- refuse --
5) Perforated leachate collection pipe
6) Clay and synthetic liners
*groundwater monitoring probe
*gas monitoring probe
What 4 additional measures might be required in a hazardous waste landfill?
1) operation/management program
2) double liner system
3) leak monitoring/detection system
4) increase distance between bottom & ground water
What is landfill gas?
Methane generated from anaerobic respiration
In RCRA, what 3 members make up the regulated community?
Why was RCRA enacted?
Regulated Community: generators, transporters, TSDFs
to control generation & disposal of solid and hazardous waste
What is meant by the term "cradle to grave"?
RCRA regulates hazardous wastes at business/industry/govt facilities from:
Generation -- Transportation -- Treatment -- Storage -- Disposal
What are the two major ways that a waste can be classified as hazardous according to RCRA?
1) Hazardous waste listing
--tied to specific industries/descriptions
--waste either meets listing or it doesn't
2) Hazardous waste characteristic
--based on property of wastestream (eg, ignitability, corrosivity, reactivity, toxicity)
--not tied to specific industry/process