Flashcards in Spinal Cord Compression Deck (3):
What is the pathophysiology of Spinal Cord Compression?
1) Bone fragment fractures (rare) - but not common
2) Mass extradural - causing venous outflow obstruction leading to oedema. Increased pressure leads to ischemia.
What are some signs and symptoms of SCC?
1) Pain - back pain generally local but might be radicular
2) Neurology - weakness more common than loss of sensation (although eventually get paralyzed)
3) Incontinence retention with flopy anal tone