Flashcards in Substance Abuse Deck (2):
What are the early & late physical exam findings seen in patients with alcohol withdrawal?
With Alcohol there is no predictor of who will go into DTs
Early symptoms of withdrawal
- Hallucinations: Auditory hallucinations are the most common EARLIEST type of hallucinations secondary to alcohol withdrawal.
- Elevated temperature, blood pressure, pulse
Late symptoms of withdrawal
What lab/diagnostic tests are done for patients in alcohol withdrawal?
- Toxicology- Urine/serum drug screen
- Alcohol level: people who have abuse etoh for years may normally have high blood alcohol levels, yet still go into withdrawal if they experience a sudden drop in their usual alcohol intake/blood alcohol level
- Liver function studies, including ammonia level
- Serum amylase – r/o pancreatitis
- CBC with differential – MCV is elevated with chronic alcoholism
Serum Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (CDT) – detects longstanding ingestion of high amounts of alcohol; MOST SPECIFIC lab test confirming alcohol abuse