1. Which of the transport mechanisms require energy other than kinetic energy?
2. Which ion is most concentrated in the extracellular environment?
3. Which organelle is directly associated with the synthesis of proteins for secretion?
3. Rough ER
4. Pits coated with what are often associated with endocytosis?
5. Sodium potassium pump is an example of which of the following kinds of transport?
5. primary active transport
6. Sodium glucose pump is an example of which of the following kinds of transport?
6. secondary active transport
7. Which of the following would have to be a transmembrane protein?
a. A receptor protein
b. A protein binding to the cytoskeleton
c. A channel protein
d. A phosphorylase
7. channel protein
8. Sodium calcium pump is an example of which of the following kinds of transport?
8. secondary active transport
9. Glucose transporters (GLUT transporters) employ which of the following kinds of
9. facilitated diffusion
10. Which cation is most abundant in extracellular fluid?
11. Which organelle/s is/are associated with intracellular trafficking?
11. the ER and Golgi Apparatus
12. Which organelle/s is/are associated with the most ATP production?
13. Which anion is most abundant in extracellular fluid?
14. Which cation is most abundant in intracellular fluid?
1. Which type of neurons would transmit an action potential the fastest?
1. Large diameter, myelinated
2. saltatory conduction is characteristic of which part of a typical diameter?
3. A selectivity filter with carbonyl oxygens is associated with which of the following kinds of ion channels?
4. The resting potential for a typical neuron, such as a motor neuron, is best represented by which of the following potentials?
5. Which of the following terms refers to a chain of sarcomeres?
6. Which of the following sarcomere bands does not undergo a length change during the contraction of a skeletal muscle?
6. A band
7. Dihydropyridine (DHP) channels are part of which of the following structures?
8. Ryanodine‐sensitive calcium ion release channels are part of which of the following structures?
8. Sarcoplasmic reticulum
9. Which of the following events occurs first during the transmission of a signal from an alpha motor neuron to a skeletal muscle fiber?
9. Calcium Ion Influx into axon terminal
10. What represents a factor by which the concentration of calcium ion increases in the cytosol after release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum?
11. Which of the following maintains an optimum calcium concentration gradient to
facilitate return of calcium to SR?
12. Fast twitch fibers have what characteristics?
12. They are more fatigable than slow twitch fibers
1. Which of the following represents an example of an eccentric contraction?
1. The triceps muscle while lowering the body to the floor during a push up
2. Which of the following are anchored to the presynaptic membrane and associated with synaptic vesicles to which they are tethered by short filaments?
2. Dense bars
3. In order for an acetylcholine‐gated ion channel to open, how many Ach molecules are necessary to attach to its (channel) alpha subunits?
4. Which of the following represents the first thing that happens after Ach binds to the
ligand‐gated channels on the sarcolemma?
4. An end plate potential is created on the muscle fiber