What is the littoral zone?
A dynamic zone of rapid change due to natural processes and human activities within it.
Describe the backshore on a beach profile.
Area near the back of the beach which is usually above the influence of the waves.
Describe the foreshore of a beach profile.
The inter-tidal or surf zone which is exposed at low tide and covered at high tide.
Describe the nearshore of a beach profile.
The area covered at all tides which is known as the breaker zone.
Describe the offshore of a beach profile.
The area beyond the influence of the wanes furthest away from the back of the beach.
Name some features of a beach
- Longshore bars
- Sand runnels and ridges
- Storm beach
- Shingle ridges
- Breakpoint bar (zone of breaking waves)
Outline a system
Input - raw material supplied
Processes - material changed/ modified by processes
Output - produce taken out/ away from the system
What are the two main types of coasts?
And describe them
- land gradually slopes towards sea across area of deposited sediment
- e.g. Sandy coastlines and estuarine coastlines
- cliffs varying in height
- cliffs formed from rocks but hardness is variable
Outline features of low energy coats
- less powerful constructive waves
- calmer conditions
- shorter fetches
- deposition and transport
- sediment from rivers
- longshore drift, nearshore currents
- sheltered from large waves
- lowland coasts
- coastal plain landscape
- Coastal Lincolnshire
- East Anglia
Outline features of high energy coasts
- powerful destructive waves
- storm conditions
- long fetches
- erosion and transport
- sediment from eroded land, mass movement & weathering, offshore currents
- cliffs, wave cut platforms, arches, caves etc
- exposed to largest waves
- highland & lowland coasts
- rocky landscape
- North West Scotland
- Atlantic facing coast
What is an isolated system?
Where there is no output or input of energy or matter