What are some responses to reducing impacts of storm hazards
Prevention: Storms cannot be prevented, but areas can be studied to plan future developments away from high risk areas
Preparedness: People and authorities can make sure they are prepared for a storm and trained for sisters. Evacuation routes. Educate people.
Adaptation: Buildings can be designed to withstand tropical storms, e.g. using reinforced concrete or fixed roofs securely so they’re not blown off. Flood defences can be built
When did hurricane sandy take place?
What were economic impacts of hurricane sandy?
- Damage cost $63bn
- New york stock exchange closed for two years
- Banks closed and restricted access to funds
- ## Second largest oil refinery closed due to flooding and power outage
What were the social impacts of Hurricane Sandy?
- Death toll at 111
- ## 1 million without power in New Jersey and 750,000 in New York State
What were some responses to Hurricane Sandy?
- Red Cross sheltered over 11,000 people across 16 states
- Thousands of flights cancelled
- New Yorks marathon cancelled, but some runners joined a fundraising run to help those in need
What made hurricane sandy so damaging?
It combined with another hurricane and was able to consume the clouds inland, meaning it didn’t lose power and could continue to move across land without slowing down much
How can a tropical storm be predicted and prepared for?
- Using technologies such as SLOSH which estimates storm height, speed and features using historical and geographical data including the history of storms in that area and the water depth and temperature.
- A prediction often accurate to +/- 20%
When did Hurricane Matthew happen?
How was Hurricane Matthew responded to?
- Government activated its national emergency operations
- Ordered halt to coastal shipping
- 90,000 people evacuated into 576 shelters in southern Haiti
- Total of 1300 shelters shelters for 390,000 people
- Haitian government sent funds to 145 areas
What were issues with the Preparation for the storm in Haiti?
Only 576 shelters, with a collective capacity of 90,000 people were all told to leave their homes, but refused
Although civil protection officials took to the streets to warn people, many residents were unaware that Matthew was even approaching a day before its expected arrival.
What were the economic impacts of Hurricane Matthew?
- Damage estimated at $2.8bn
- 200,000 homes destroyed
- Prices of basic needs rose, making it hard to rebuild
- Damaged infrastructure
What were the social impacts of Hurricane Matthew?
- Death toll of 546, although some sources reported more than triple that number. Unreliable sources.
- 12.9% of Haiti’s population left in need of humanitarian assistance
- Insufficient food and water access, 806,000 facing shortages by October 20th
- ## Cholera outbreak killed at least 29 people
What were some properties of Hurricane Matthew?
- Entered Haiti with sustained winds at 240kmph