Flashcards in types of conformity Deck (11)
what is conformity?
- change in beliefs or behaviours
- by an individual or small group
- to fit in with a majority group
- as a result of real or imagined pressure from majority group
what are examples of conformity?
- minor conformity
> people conforming to drink/drunk taking of peers
- major conformity
> society conforming to racist beliefs
what is compliance?
- individual publicly conforms
- to attitudes and behaviour of majority group
- while privately disagreeing with them
what is an example of compliance?
- agreeing with friends that a film was good
- while secrelty not enjoying it
what is compliance associated with?
- seeking group approval and membership
- avoiding disapproval
is compliance temporary or permenant?
- usually temporary
what is identification?
- individual publicly and privatley changes their attitudes and behaviour
- to conform to the group
- want to identify with and feel sense of membership with group
is identification temporary or permenant?
- when leave group they revert to original attitudes and behaviours
what is an example of identification?
- joining the army and conforming to colleagues' beliefs/behaviours
- abandoning them when leave the army
what is internalisation?
- publicy and privately changes attitudes and behaviour
- to fit in with group
- because of belief that group's attitudes and behaviours are correct