What 4 things does the rate of reaction depend on?
Concentration (or pressure in gases)
Surface area of solids (or size of solid pieces)
Graphs for rate of reaction: what is the quickest reaction shown by?
The steepest line
How can the rate of reaction be observed?
Either by measuring how quickly the reactants are used up or how quickly the products are formed
What is the formula for measuring the rate of reaction?
rate of reaction = Amount of reactant used or amount of product formed ÷ time
What are the 3 different ways that the rate of reaction can be measured?
Percipitation (when the product of the reaction is a ppte which clouds the solution)
Change in mass (usually given off as a gas)
- The volume of gas given off
Explain how rate of reaction can be measured by percipitation
- Observe a mark through the solution and measure how long is takes for it to dissapear
- The quicker the mark dissapears, the quicker the reaction
- This only works for reactions where the initial solution is rather see-through
What is the problem with measuring the rate of reaction by percipitation?
The result is very subjective, because different people might not agree over the exact point over the exact point where the mark 'dissapeared'
Explain how rate of reaction can be measured by change in mass?
- Measuring the speed of a reaction that produces a gas can be carried out using a mass balance
- As the gas is released the mass dissapearing is easily measures on the balance
- The quicker the reading on the balance drops, the faster he reaction
Which is the most accurate way of measuring rate of reaction and why?
Measuring the change in mass because the mass balance is very accurate
Explain how the rate of reaction can be measure by the volume of gas given off?
- This involved the use of a gas syringe to measure the volume of gas given off
- The more gas given off during a given time interval, the faster the reaction
- Gas syringes usually give volumes accurate to the nearest mm
Which reaction would you use to measure affect of breaking a solid up into small bits?
The reaction of hydrochloric acid and marble chips
Which reaction is used to measure the effects of increased concentration?
Magnesium metal with dilute HCL
Which reaction is used to measure the effect of temperature?
Sodium thiosulfate an hcl
What reaction is used to show the effect of different catalysts?
The decomposition of hydrogen peroxide