Flashcards in Unit 3: Chinese Characters Deck (5)
What are the 3 most common types of Chinese characters?
- Ideograph 一 二 三 上 下
- Pictograph 山 木 森林
- Pictophonetic 张
What are ideograph characters?
指事 (zhǐ shì) Ideographs
- Ideographs show the meaning of abstract concepts that are harder to express concretely like a pictograph.
What are pictograph characters?
象形 (xiàng xíng) Pictographs
- The appearance itself expresses the meaning. Most pictographs are simple nouns.
What are pictophonetic characters?
形声 (xíng shēng) Pictophonetic Characters
- One component represents the meaning.
- One component represents the pronunciation.
- Approximately 80% of Phonetic-Semantic Compounds have this structure:
Phonetic on the left, Semantic on the right