There are Two (2) layers of skin:
Its deep below the Dermis , its also called Hypodermis or Superficial Fascia
The Epidermis consist of five (5) layers:
(Big . Sweet . Guys . Love . Candy)
- Stratum BASAL
- Stratum SPINOSUM
- Stratum GRANULOSUM
- Stratum LUCIDUM
- Stratum CORNEUM
The Integumentary System is made up of the:
- Nerve Endings
Skin is largest organ of the body
- This layer provides new cells by mitotic cell division.
- Stratum Basal is the deepest layer of the five layers of the epidermis.
- The Stratum Basal is most the external covering of skin in mammals.
- The stratum Basal is a single layer of columnar or cuboidal basal cells.
- It provides structural support, helping the skin resist abrasion. (Spine Like)
- Found between the stratum Granulosum and stratum Basal
- Helps to form a waterproof barrier that functions to prevent fluid loss from the body.
- Is a thin, clear layer of dead skin cells in the epidermis.
- Found in the PALMS and FEET ONLY
- Composed of flat, dead cells that continually flake away
- Is a vital barrier of the skin
- The horny outer layer of the skin (Crown Like Shape)
Epidermal Layers - Order
Come :: Lets :: Get :: Sun :: Burnt
- From top to bottom -
Epidermis Cells Anatomy
EPI = Above, top layer of skin Keratinocytes Melanocytes Langerhans Merckel
are the primary type of cell found in the epidermis, the outermost layer of the skin. It is an epidermal cell that produces keratin protein, waterproofs, protects, (never needs ironing).
Dermis Cells Anatomy
- Dermal Papillae
- Meissner’s Corpuscles
- is Extensibility = stretch ability
- is Elasticity = bounce back ability
Dermal Papillae forms?
are found in the upper dermis, they are found primarily in the glabrous skin on the fingertips and eyelids.
- Conform to the underlying dermal papillae - Increase grip by increasing friction - Comes in, loops, arches, whorls (LAW)
Where does Callus occurs
Where does Stretch Marks occurs
The closest estimate of the average thickness of the skin is 1.5 mm
New Skin frequency
We get new skin every 2-4 weeks
Percentage of Household Dust
Seventy-five (75%) percent of house dust is dead skin
Why skin color varies
Skin color results from differences in exposure to ultraviolet radiation (UVR)
UVR has a Desirable Effect
UVR helps stimulates synthesis of vitamin D necessary for dietary calcium absorption.
Skin Color : Black People
People native to the tropics and their descendants tend to have well-melanized skin to screen out excessive UVR
Skin Color : Black
People native to the tropics and their descendants tend to have "well-melanized" skin to screen out excessive UVR - Melanin
Skin Color : White
Their skin color consist of blood hemoglobin and carotene with little melanin People native to far northern latitudes where the sunlight is weak, tend to have light skin to allow for adequate UVR penetration.
Skin Color : Albinos
Skin Color : Asians
Abnormal Skin Colors