Flashcards in U.S. Government Deck (15):
A government with a king or queen who leads the country with the help of parliament.
A document written on September 17, 1787 that maps out our government.
The system that makes sure not one person has too much power in our government.
checks and balances
A government in which one person makes all the decisions and runs the country.
Our type of government in the United States where people vote for their leaders.
Democracy and Republic
The idea that the power of the government comes from the people, and people have a say by voting.
The people that helped establish our country and write the Declaration of Independence.
The leader of the executive branch.
Important people and powers of the Executive Branch
-Enforces the laws
-Can sign or veto a bill
Important people and powers of the Legislative Branch
- Congress (Senate and House or Representatives
- Writes the laws
- Can override a president's veto
Important people and powers of the Judicial Branch
- Supreme Court
- 9 Supreme Court Justices (judges)
- Decides if laws are Constitutional or Unconstitutional
Powers of the Local Government include ...
- takes care of city parks
- plans local festival such as Tulip Time
- fixes local roads in Holland
- public libraries in Holland
Powers of the State Government include ...
- Pays for schools and teachers
- Fixes state highways in Michigan
- Takes care of state parks
Powers of the National or Federal Government include ...
- Decides if we will go to war
- Runs the U.S. Postal Service
- Makes National Currency (money)