Flashcards in Use Food Preparation Equipment Deck (35)
What are the three main things to remember when handling a knife?
Grip- tightly, with fingers curled against the heel
Fingers from free hand- curled and holding food in position
Blade- tip cuts small, centre slices and heel works larger cuts
Name three types of knives
Where can knives be stored?
In a bag with a cover on the blade
How are knives sharpened?
What are the three areas which food preparation equipment is classified, and give on example of each?
Mechanical- food processor
Fixed equipment- oven
Name two methods which enable stock selection?
FIFO- first in first out
Stock rotation labels
Name some safe and hygienic practices when dealing with food
Personal hygiene practices
Safe work practices- PPE
What does Mise en place translate to?
"Everything in its place"
What are the things ensured during mise en place?
Ensuring freshness of ingredients
List the aspects of a standard recipe card
- Name of recipe
- Cooking methods
- Preparation time
- Number of portions
What does work flow management ensure?
A smooth and efficient workflow, ensuring all people know their job allocation
How do you prepare dry ingredinets?
Ensure it is within the use by date
Ensure it is free of mould and weevils
Should be dry and undamaged
Name, provide measurements and name a food used for three precision cuts
Chiffonade- shred, very fine, lettuce
Julienne- matchstick, 3mm x 3mm x 40mm, carrot
Mirepox- roughly cut, tomato for bruschetta
What are the standard cuts of meat?
What are the standard cuts of poultry?
Name three environmentally friendly work practices
Don't turn on electrical appliances until required
Purchase reusable equipment (rubber baking sleeve instead of baking paper)
Reuse water and energy
Name three waste minimisation techniques
Purchase correct portion
Use effective storage practices- FIFO
Serve food as soon as cooked, or store correctly
Name and define the two suitable cutting surfaces, are they good or bad?
- Yielding- wood or plastic board. Good
- Unyielding- glass, ceramic or marble. Bad blunts knife
List four safe work practices when using a knife
- Always ensure the knife is sharp
- Always cut away from yourself and curl the fingers of your free hand under to avoid cutting fingers
- When cleaning knives, never leave them in a sink of water or areas where they may be hidden from view
- Knives should be stored in an appropriate receptacle
Name the colours chopping boards come in, and the respected item for each
Red- raw meat
Blue- raw fish
Yellow- raw poultry
Green- fruit and vegetable
Brown- cooked meat
White- bakery and dairy
Name a manual example of measuring, cutting and other equipment
Name a mechanical example of fixed and non fixed appliances
Name five categories of food and an example of each
Name six procedures undertaken in mise en place
- Ordering ingredients
- Correct selection of recipe
- Selection of required ingredients
- Weighing and measuring
- Selection and preparation of equipment
- Preparation of ingredients
Why is time and task management essential?
Ensures each activity is done efficiently. leading to quick service, positive feedback, high staff morale and increased customer base, hence profits
Name the four main features of an effective workflow
- Logical sequence
- Time constraints
Name the six effects of poor workflow on customers, colleagues and the business
- Disorganised kitchen
- Low worker morale
- Low rates of teamwork, leading to colleague conflict
- Dissatisfied customer
- Decreased customer base
- Decreased income- waste of money spent on food and staff
How would you prepare dairy?
- Check the use-by or best-before date
- Pleasant aroma, flavour, and colour
- Usually measured electronically
How would you prepare fruit?
- Should have no bruising, blemishes, decay or insect damage
- Good colour, size and shape and have a fresh appearance
- Always wash and chop if required