Flashcards in We are Chianeese if you pleeeeeease: China and US land policy Deck (6)
Describe China's Urban development in past 20 years
1) developing 6 bill sq ft a year of housing
2) China has shit ass recources and terrible environmental record
Note: if China reached US per capita engery consumtpion it would need 100 % of worlds orld
3) However, it does have a federal policy
What are the National Goals of China's sustainable development policies
Provide economic development through efficient use, minimal waste, curtail excessive infrastrucrure costs of sprawl, promote, prevervation of historic and aesthetic?
How do the US and China differ in policy
1) China has national policy, not auto dependant, high rise, sells more autos,
2) US no national policy, way to much auto dependency, us uses 25 % of worlds oil!
What are other problems with US energy consumtion? (think relation to China)
1) US consumes more than ten times more energy than china!
2) 80 % of US crude oil goes towards gas and China doesn't have this problem (walking cycling are 80%)
What is China's Model for Development
Under a Comprehensive federal program
1) Satellite cities (whole and independent) defeat sprawl by connections via transit to urban centers...spreads density
2) Limits on Skyscrapper buildings to avoid density overload?
3) National policy and oil conservation
4) focus on walking, transit, and pedestrians
5) Long road, but affects already!