Flashcards in Western Expansion Deck (4)
What happens to the population of immigrants in 1830-1910?
The population started off quite small and fluctuated slightly before rising massively in 1910
What pushed people out from the East?
- Land in the East was expensive
- People were driven out of their countries because of religion
What pulled people to the West?
- Land in the West was cheap, free or could be bought on easy terms at low rates of interest
- West was seen as the 'Land of opportunity', not just for farmers
- Government published maps, reports and provided shelter for travellers
- Minnesota set up a Board of Immigration