Flashcards in Words (of the Day) Deck (154)
[krip-tuhs- thee -zhuh]
Allegedly paranormal perception
[ beyl -fuhl]
1. Full of menacing or malign influences; pernicious
2. Wretched or miserable
[ œ -vruh]
1. (French) the collective works of a writer, painter, or other type of artist
2. Any work of an artist, writer, painter, or etc.
[ kreyp -hang-er]
A person who sees the gloomy side of things; pessimist
[haw- rol -uh-jee, hoh-]
The art or science of making timepieces or of measuring time
[ kik -shaw]
1. A tidbit or delicacy, especially one served as an appetizer
2. A trinket or trifle; something showy but without value
[pyoo-suh- lan -uh-mus]
1. Lacking courage or resolution; cowardly or faint-hearted
2. Preceding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
[ an -uh-tahyn, -tin]
1. Resembling a duck
2. Of or pertaining to the family Anatidae, comprising of the swans, geese, and ducks
[kuhm- uhp -uhns]
Deserved reward, usually unpleasant
A boisterous, bold, and carefree girl; tomboy
[ sin -uh-struhl]
2. Of, pertaining to, or on the left side; left (as opposed to dextral)
3. (Of certain gastropod shells) coiling counterclockwise, as seen from the apex
[ gos -uh-mer]
1. a fine, filmy cobweb seen on grass or bushes or floating in the air in calm weather, especially in autumn.
2. a thread or a web of this substance.
3. an extremely delicate variety of gauze, used especially for veils.
4. any thin, light fabric.
5. something extremely light, flimsy, or delicate.
6. a thin, waterproof outer garment, especially for women.
7. Thin or light (of or like gossamer)
[ klou -der]
A group or cluster of cats
[ geyp -seed, gap -]
1. (British Dialect) a person who gapes or stares in wonder, especially a rustic or unworldly person who is easily awed.
2. (British Dialect) a daydream or reverie.
3. (British Dialect) an idealistic, impossible, or unreal plan or goal.
4. (British Dialect) something that is gaped at; anything unusual or remarkable.
[haw-rip-uh- ley -shuhn, ho-]
A bristling of the hair on the skin from cold, fear, etc; goosebumps
[ sluhb -er]
To perform hastily or carelessly
[ pel - mel ]
1. in a confused or jumbled mass, crowd, manner, etc.
2. in disorderly, headlong haste; in a recklessly hurried manner.
[pa- niv -er-uhs]
Subsisting on bread; bread-eating
[roo- fes -uhnt]
Somewhat reddish; tinged with red; rufous
[ stahr -krawst]
[kee-ahr-uh- skyoor -oh]
1. the distribution of light and shade in a picture.
2. Painting. the use of deep variations in and subtle gradations of light and shade, especially to enhance the delineation of character and for general dramatic effect: Rembrandt is a master of chiaroscuro.
3. a woodcut print in which the colors are produced by the use of different blocks with different colors.
4. a sketch in light and shade.
[uh- pok -ruh-fuhl]
1. of doubtful authorship or authenticity.
2. Ecclesiastical. a. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to the Apocrypha. b. of doubtful sanction; uncanonical.
3. false; spurious: He told an apocryphal story about the sword, but the truth was later revealed.
[ boh -vuh-riz-uhm]
an exaggerated, especially glamorized, estimate of oneself; conceit.
[ ves -per-tahyd]
The period of vespers; evening
[frig-uh- rif -ik]
Causing or producing cold
[ gas -lahyt]
1. light produced by the combustion of illuminating gas.
2. a gas burner or gas jet for producing this kind of light.
3. to cause (a person) to doubt his or her sanity through the use of psychological manipulation: How do you know if your partner is gaslighting you?
[zoh- an -thruh-pee]
a mental disorder in which one believes oneself to be an animal.
[ won -yuhn]
[klair- aw -dee-uh ns]
the power to hear sounds said to exist beyond the reach of ordinary experience or capacity, as the voices of the dead