Education and Youth in the Third Reich Flashcards
What did Nazis see schooling as an opportunity to do?
- Nazi’s saw education as an opportunity to create good Nazi’s
- They changed what was taught and who taught it
What institutions did the Nazis keep and which ones did they abolish?
- They abolished private primary schools
- Fee-paying secondary schools and universities remained for ‘pure Germans’ and they emphasises physical fitness
- Corporations became Nazi comradeship houses and students had to join the Nazi student union
- National Political Education Institutions, Est in 20th April 1933
- Three were opened
- A free boarding school to train an elite group of boys as government administrators
- National Socialist Teachers League (NSLB), Est April 1929
- Jan 1933 had 6,000 members and undesirables purged in April
Decree of September 1935
- Gave Nazis control over appointments
- By 1937 it was impossible to get a job without being in the NSLB
- 97% of teachers were a part of the union
- Provided courses so the teachers knew what to teach
Why did the number of teachers drop by 1938?
- 2,500 new teachers with 8,000 vacancies
- School was treated as a place to indoctrinate children and the Nazis were anti-intellectual because of this
- This made teachers less respected and it became a less popular profession
What % of the curriculum was sports?
What was the purpose of history as a subject?
- To create a Volksgemeinschaft and a nationhood
- Textbooks were censored, some burned and others mutilated
What did booklets given to support the Nazi curriculum include?
- There was race studies, teaching the superiority of the Aryans, inferiority of slav races, Jews and how they were the cause of German problems
What was the focus of biology in the Nazi curriculum?
- Focused on race, eugenics and motherhood for girls
Give an example of Nazi propaganda in maths?
E.g How much money can be saved on marriage loans if money for helping the mentally ill was saved?
When was the Hitler Youth Established and under whom?
Set up in 1933 Baldur Von Schirach
What were the divisions of the Hitler Youth for the boys?
- Pimpfen (Little Folk) aged 6
- Jung Volk (Young Stars) aged 10
- Hitler Yügend (Hitler Youth) 14-18
When did the Hitler Youth open their first school?
- 1937 first Schoo for future administrators
- The physical fitness experience did not train them to be administrators
What were the divisions of the Hitler Youth for the girls?
- Jungmandel (Young Girls) 10
- Bund Deutsches Madel (Association of German Young Women BDM) 14
- Glaube and Schönheit (Faith and Beauty) 17-20