Flashcards in 1d Question Answers Deck (3):
What would you say if the 1d question was about disease and infection improving over time?
- throughout prehistory, Egypt, Greece and Middle Ages, beliefs of God causing diseases acted to hinder knowledge about treatments
- Hippocrates, long lasting impact, but not effective treatment
- Pasteur, germ theory, major improvements about knowledge of DI, enabled more effective treatments e.g. Magic bullet and penicillin
- should be noted, pasteurs GT not poss without science and tech developments, namely microscope by J Lister
- gave Jenner £30,000 to improve work on small pox vaccine and made compulsory in 1852
- funded mass production of penicillin however may not have without war, may have had less need for it
- some development of treatments dependant on chance e.g. Pasteur chicken cholera vaccine and Flemings penicillin discovery.
What would you do if the 1d question was about surgery and anatomy improving due to different factors over time?
SCIENCE AND TECH
- X-rays developed before WW1, so could find shrapnel
- blood transfusions effectively used during WW1, further developed after WW2, stored longer and donated
- Marie curie developed radiation therapy, chance discovery after working closely with X-rays
- 65 million deaths WW2, advances needed
- surgeons operated and practiced more during war, so war always led to surgical and anatomical knowledge improvements due to mass of casualties
- funded rontgens development of X-rays and mass production of them