Flashcards in 2401 - Developing the TEMP and Test Planning Deck (29)
What regulations cover testing?
• DoD Instruction 5000.2,
• Operation of the Defense Acquisition System (Enclosure 5),
• Defense Acquisition Guidebook (Chapter 9),
• DA PAM 73-4,
• DA PAM 73-1,
• AR 73-1
Testing is used to:
• Assess and reduce risks
• Verify technical performance
• Determine operational effectiveness and suitability
• Provide essential information for decision makers and customers
• Integrate all testing and modeling & simulation (M&S) activities as an efficient continuum
Who are the customers of T&E.
• Developers / Acquisition Managers:
o Evaluate program status
o Determine if system performance meets objectives
o Determine corrective action plans to keep the program on track
• Designers and Engineers:
o Evaluate performance and technical design of system
o Identify when design changes are required
o Maximize long-term utilization of system
o Learn how system actually performs
o Obtain information on operation and maintenance
What are the various test agencies.
• Director, Operational Test & Evaluation (DOT&E)
• Army Test and Evaluation Command (ATEC)
• Army Evaluation Center (AEC)
• Operational Test Command (OTC)
What are the different types of Developmental T&E
• Production Qualification Test (PQT)
• Production Verification Test (PVT)
• Production Acceptance Test & Evaluation (PAT&E)
• Research Effort/Test:
• Technical Feasibility Test (TFT)
• Engineering Development Test (EDT)
• First Article Test (FAT)
• Logistics Demonstration (LD)
What are the different types of Operational T&E
• Early Operational Assessment (EOA)
• Operational Assessment (OA)
• Initial Operational Test and Evaluation (IOT&E)
• Follow-on Operational Test and Evaluation (FOT&E)
What is a program, procedure or process to obtain, verify, or provide data to determine the degree to which a system or systems meet, exceed or fail to meet stated objectives that obtains raw data, measures specific, individual performance factors and Is resource intensive
What is an independent process to review, analyze, and assess data obtained from testing or other sources that produces analyzed information from test data, modeling and simulation, or other sources, draws conclusions by looking at how the factors interact and Is intellectually intensive
What is operational effectiveness and operational suitability?
• OE = How well it does the job?
• OS = How well it can be supported?
What is the purpose of Live Fire Testing?
• Determines crew survivability and/or system vulnerability
• Confirms lethality of munitions/missiles against intended target set
What is the ability of systems, units, or forces to provide data, information, materiel, and services to and accept the same from other systems, units, or forces and to use the data, information, materiel, and services so exchanged to enable them to operate effectively together.
Who issues an Interoperability Test Certification, indicating that the system has successfully passed interoperability testing and has met the NR-KPP, testing is performed on Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) production representative systems, is issued prior to the Full Rate Production Decision Review (FRPDR) once the test certification has been issued, J-6 issues the Interoperability System Validation indicating that the entire process is complete
Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC)
What parts of the T&E process must be completed before Milestone A:
Approved T&E Strategy
What parts of the T&E process must be completed before Milestone B:
• Approved TEMP
• Identification of LRIP quantities – Only 10% max without waiver
• DT&E Report
What parts of the T&E process must be completed before Milestone C:
• Updated TEMP
• Final DT&E Report
• Operational Assessment
Why do independent agencies conduct and oversee OT&E?
To ensure that test results are not skewed in favor of the developers and there is no undue influence.
The function of ___________ is to act as the essential feedback mechanism for the Systems Engineering Process.
When the system meets the performance specifications accomplished through Developmental Testing it is called ________________. (Did you build it right?)
When the system fulfills the user’s required capabilities accomplished through Operational Testing it is called _____________. (Did you build the right thing?)
The _____________________must be updated periodically to ensure that it stays current and integrates the various disciplines as the program evolves through its life cycle.
Test and Evaluation Master Plan (TEMP)
______________________________is essential in determining a system’s readiness for Initial _________________________
• Developmental Test and Evaluation (DT&E),
• Operational Test and Evaluation (IOT&E).
Operational Test and Evaluation (OT&E) helps determine system operational suitability and effectiveness, and it addresses _________________ that are defined by the User.
Critical Operational Issues (COIs)
What are circumstances in which developmental testing and operational testing take place at the same time as two parallel, but separate and distinct, activities.
Single test program conducted to support developmental test and operational test objectives.
What is the collaborative planning and collaborative execution of test phases and events to provide shared data in support of independent analysis, evaluation, and reporting by all stakeholders, particularly the development (both contractor and government) and operational test and evaluation communities.
The Test and Evaluation Master Plan (TEMP) is prepared by the ______________in conjunction with principal_________________________.
• Program Manager (PM),
• Test Integration Working Group (TIWG) members
What is the forum in which the operational tester brings together all the representatives of agencies involved in the Operational or Force Development Test to determine overall readiness for test.
Operational Test Readiness Review (OTRR)
What the purpose of the T&E WIPT and when it is formed.
• The T&E WIPT should be established and chartered as early as possible during the Material Solutions Analysis phase
• Provides a forum for all key organizations to be involved in the T&E effort.
• Develops and maintains the program T&E strategy.
• Develops and manages an integrated test program for M&S, developmental tests, and operational tests to support evaluations.
• Develops and maintains the Integrated Test Schedule.
• Identifies and resolves issues.