Flashcards in 3.1.6 Biotechnology 1 Deck (12)
What is biotechnology?
The the of microorganisms to create useful products.
What is yeast?
A type of microorganism (fungi)
Yeast is used in the production of which products?
What is aerobic respiration?
The production of energy from glucose and oxygen
What is anaerobic respiration?
The production of energy from glucose without oxygen
The version of anaerobic respiration that yeast do has a special name. We call it...
What is the equation for fermentation by yeast?
Glucose --> ethanol + carbon dioxide + energy
Describe how to make bread
1. Mix flour, water and yeast to make dough.
2. Leave dough in a warm place to ruse.
3. The yeast do anaerobic respiration and release carbon dioxide and ethanol.
4. The ethanol evapourates, the carbon dioxide leaves bubbles in the bread dough.
Which type of sugar is used to make wine?
Which type of sugar is used to make beer?
Malted barley suagr
Describe the process of brewing beer
1. Add malted barely sugar to a container.
2. Add yeast to ferment the sugar into ethanol (alcohol)
3. Seal container to keep out oxygen.
4. When sugar has fully fermented remove waste bits.
5. Pour the liquid beer into barrels.