Flashcards in 7: Interpretive Problems Deck (3)
What are the different sources to identify interpretive problems?
- Monographs on the:
- Recent Journal Articles
What are some Common Indicators of Interpretive Problems?
- Nontrivial differences among the major translations of a text
- A passage of Scripture that seems to disagree with something the author has said elsewhere
- An apparent disagreement between the author and what other inspired authors have said about the same topic
- A single text that has spawned multiple, complex debate
- A text whose meaning is hardly debated today but whose background indicates a diverse history of interpretation
- Places in the NT that use a quote from the OT in a way that does not seems consonant with the meaning of the verse in the original context
What are the guidelines when attempting to solve an interpretive problem?