Flashcards in Advanced Steel (Chapter 10) Deck (28)
16. How to determine saddle charge dimensions?
Charge thickness: 1 inches
Base of Charge: ½ circumference of target
Long Axis of charge: circumference of target
14. What is cutting method of saddle charge?
Cross fracture method
5. What is ribbon charge formula
Charge Volume = Charge Thickness x Charge Width x Charge length
Thickness = ½ Thickness of the target or minimum ½” of thickness (if thickness is less than ½”)
Measure the thickest part of the target
Width = 3 x Thickness
Length = Desired length of cut
6. How to find charge thickness for a ribbon charge?
½ Thickness of the target or minimum ½” of thickness (if thickness is less than ½”)
15. Where are saddle charges primed?
At the apex of the long axis
3. Where do you prime a ribbon charge?
Top center or either end of the ribbon charge
1. What types of the explosives use for advanced steel?
Plastic and sheet explosive
4. What is purpose of a ribbon charge?
Used for flat steel up to 3” thick
If thickness is greater than 3”, conduct test shot
9. What are the volumes of explosive block charges for M112, M186, C2, M1, and TNT?
C2 Prima Sheet: 9.96
M1 dynamite: 10
7. How to calculate ribbon charge width and length?
Width: 3 x charge thickness
Length: Desired length of cut
11. How much explosive should be surrounding the blasting cap?
½” surrounding the blasting cap
21. How to calculate the dimensions and volume of a diamond charge?
Long axis = Circumference
Short axis = (1/2) x Circumference
For volume use saddle charge formula
12. What are the considerations for a C shaped ribbon charge?
A) DET Cord branchlines must be the same length and connected with British junction or M151 Boosters can be used to help with simultaneous detonation
B) Same thickness, width, and length rules apply as a ribbon charge on flat steel
20. Where is diamond charge primed?
At the apexes of the short axis (2)
10. What is a C Shaped ribbon charge, and what is its purpose?
Three ribbon charges shaped to fit structural steel
To cut structural steel.
2. What are the 4 types of advanced steel charge?
C Shaped ribbon charge
18. What is cutting method of Diamond charge?
Stress wave method
22. What type of charge would you use if the targets are steel plate, high carbon bar, and mild steel bar?
Steel plate: ribbon charge
High carbon: Diamond charge
Mild steel bar: Saddle charge
17. What is the formula for volume of a Saddle charge?
CV = B^2
CV = (1/2)B x LA x 1
19. What is purpose of diamond charge?
To cut HIGH CARBON OR ALLOY steel bar up to 8 inches in diameter
13. What is purpose of saddle charge?
Used on MILD STEEL bars (Round, Square, rectangular) up to 8 inches in diameter
Advantage of advanced over conventional charges
Uses considerably less explosive than conventional charges
Effect of molding M112
Reduces density thereby reducing its RE factor by as much as 25%
Rules of thumb for offset on a C-shaped ribbon charge
If thickness anywhere is greater than 2 inches, use a full offset
Special instructions for construction of a saddle charge
Add 15% to the length of the base during construction
Special instructions for construction of a diamond charge
Add 15% to the length of the long axis during construction
How should you lay M112 block when constructing a saddle charge and a diamond charge?
Saddle charge: Parallel to the base
Diamond charge: Parallel to the long axis