Flashcards in Aldol Condensation Deck (5)
What is the structure of Benzil?
What is the structure of 1,3-diphenyl-acetone?
What is the structure of Tetraphenyl-cyclopentadienone?
Benzene with one carbonyl group and four benzyl groups
Describe the general mechanism of an aldol reaction
1. OH pulls off an alpha hydrogen to make water
2. Carbon that lost H attaches to carbonyl group, electrons from the victim carbonyl move to O
3. Water reacts with step 2 to add a hydrogen on the victim O
4. OH pulls off another alpha hydrogen, makes double bond connecting the carbon to carbonyl, moves electrons from old double bond to oxygen (releases water)
5. Electrons from oxygen move back, carbon double bond is pushed one atom over, OH takes the electrons from its bond and leaves (regenerates OH)