Flashcards in Amarna Deck (5)
Who and when was Amarna built?
Akhenaten, 18th dynasty
What evidence at Amarna is there for monotheism?
- The boundary Stelea, the instructions for the site after he died
- Paintings in Mekhetaten's tomb
- Hymn to the Aten
Against Monotheism- workers village
What offerings were there at Amarna?
- 1,800 offering tables at the great temple to Aten
- Meri Ra's tomb, priest... lots of paintings relevant to offerings
- The graneries, 4 in workmens village.. too much for people
- Cowbones and horns found outside the great temple, as well as the instruments used to slaughter them
What Art was there at Amarna?
- Tomb paintings.. equality and family
- Nefertiti depicted same size as Akenhaten
- Aten's hands spread out to embrace people
- Elongated figures show break from polytheism.. throne of Tutankhamun
- North Palace scenes- birds and nature