Flashcards in Antiviral Handout Deck (6)
why is selective toxicity more difficult for viruses v. bacteria?
- viruses use host cell machinery = fewer difference b/w host and virus cell parts = fewer targets to go after
difficulties in developing antiviral drugs
- wide spectrum of heterogeneous agents
- few viral proteins and fewer host proteins have turned out to be useful drug targets
- antivirals usually effective against only a few viruses = difference from antibacterials
3 indications for acyclovir
- mucocutaneous herpetic lesions
- genital herpes lesions
- prophylaxis in AIDS and other IC pts
2 blood-related adverse effects of ganciclovir
- leukopenia = low leukocytes in blood
- thrombocytopenia = low platelets in blood
what can you monitor to determine duration of foscarnet action?
- check creatinine, BUN, and ions weekly if therapy is used