Flashcards in B1 3 Drugs Deck (13):
What are the characteristics of a good drug?
• Effective- it must prevent or cure a disease, or at least make you feel better
• Safe- The drug must not be too toxic or have serious side effects
• Stable- The drug needs to be used under normal conditions and stored for some time
• It must be successfully taken and removed from the body
Why are drugs extensively tested?
Drugs are tested extensively to establish:
• its effectiveness
• its toxicity
• its most appropriate dose
What are drugs tested on in laboratories?
The drugs are tested on cells, tissues and later on animals.
What is a placebo?
A placebo is a tablet that does not contain the drug.
Thalidomide was developed as a sleeping pill and was found to prevent morning sickness in early pregnancy. It had not been fully tested and as a result: birth defects were caused.
What are statins?
Statins are medical drugs which are used to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood.
What is a drug?
A drug is a substance that alters chemical processes in the body.
Name some illegal drugs:
What are withdrawal symptoms?
Withdrawal symptoms are caused when addicts stop taking drugs. They often have aches and pains, sweating, shaking, headaches and cravings for the drug.
• Many recreational drugs affect the nervous system, and particularly the brain. Some are more harmful than others
• Some recreational drugs are legal and others are illegal
• The overall impact of legal drugs on health is much greater than illegal drugs because more people use them
• Some people can progress from using recreational drugs such as cannabis to addiction to hard drugs because cannabis is illegal and has to be obtained from a drug dealer
• Cannabis smoke contains chemicals which may cause mental illness in some people
What are anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids are drugs that help build muscle mass. They are used by athletes who need to be very strong, such as weightlifters.