What is an enzyme?
- Biological catalysts
- Specific to one particular substrate
How do enymes work?
- Enzyme and substrate gain kinetic energy from heat and move around inside cell
- Collision creating enzyme-substrate complex, connecting through the active site and reaction occurs
- The products form and leave the active site
What happens to enzymes when the temperature/pH is not gut??????????
- When the temperature is above or below the optimum temperature, or when the pH is not 2 (stomach) or 7, the enzyme denatures
- The 3D shaape and actuve site of the enzyme changes shape
- SUBSTRATE NO FIT = NO REACTION
Give experimentthat explores the effect oftemperature on enzymes
Catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen
Catalase is found in potatos.
- Putting potato chips in to peroxide will produce O2
- Rate of reaction is proportional to volume of O2 produced and varies with differnt temperatures
2H2O2 → O2 + 2H2O
ARe carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides) soluble or insoluble in water?
They are soluble in water
Are carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides) found un animal cells or nah
Are carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides) broken down by amylase?
no, they are the smallest sugar
Where are carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides) absorbed?
in the small intestine
What is the solution to test fro carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides) ?
- Benedict’s reagent
- Colour: blue
- Positive: brick red
What are carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides) made of?
H, C, O
Which foods have a high % of carbohydrates (glucose/monosaccharides)?
Are carbohydrates (starch) soluble or insoluble in water?
What is the solution to test for carbohydrates (starch)?
- Add iodine
- Colour: yellow/brown
- Positive: blue/black
Where is carbohydrates (starch) found in>?
What are lipids made out of?
What are lipids break down into?
fattay acid and glycerol
G fatty acid
E fatty acid
L fatty acid
What solution teests for lipids?
- EMULSION TESt
- Ethanol, add water then shake
- Positive: cloudy white
Which foods have a high % of lipid?
What are proteins made out of?
S C H O N
What do proteins break dowon into?
What is the test for proteins?
- Biuret test
- Add copper sulphate and dilute NaOH
- Colour: blue
- Positive: lilac/purple
Which foodds have high % of proteins?