Flashcards in Building Analysis Deck (83)
List 7 types of programming analyses
1. Reviewing technical analysis
2. Evaluate existing structures
3. Evaluate historic structures
4. Determine functional requirements
5. Create a Program
6. Create a budget
7. Create a schedule
Electromagnetic Distance Measurement (EDM)
Type of field measurement / survey using laser based instrument with onboard computer to measure distance, horizontal & vertical angles of laser beam to reflective prism target. High level of accuracy.
Reflectorless Electromagnetic Distance Measurement (REDM)
Type of field measuring / survey similar to EDM but relies on return signal bounced from object being measured. Less precise accuracy.
Type of field measuring / survey uses medium range pulsing laser beams that sweep over object or space to obtain 3D coordinates of points on surface being scanned. Plans, sections, elevations can be generated from the 3D image.
List 3 methods of field measuring
1. Electromagnetic distance measuring
2. Reflectorless electromagnetic distance measuring
3. Laser scanning
List 4 types of treatment approaches for historic structures from the most historically accurate to the least.
Attempts to retain all historic fabric thru conservation, maintenance & repair
Emphasizes retention & repair of historic materials but gives more latitude to replacement (property was most likely deteriorated before work began)
Focuses on retention of materials from buildings most significant time in history. Permits removal of materials from other periods.
Recreate non-surviving site with new materials, landscape, structure, etc.
List the 6 categories for treatment of historic masonry outlined by the NPS
1. Identify, retain, preserve
2. Protect & maintain
4. Replace (if a feature is too deteriorated to repair)
5. Remove existing features from other historic periods
6. Recreate missing features
What are the 5 steps in the programming process?
1. Establish Goals (client’s objectives)
2. Collect Facts (existing conditions & requirements for meeting client’s objectives)
3. Programming Concepts (abstract solutions for client’s problems)
4. Determine needs (balance clients needs with budget)
5. State problem (bridge between concept & design)
List the 4 elements of cost
List the 4 major problem statements that should be addressed during the 5th stage of programming
What are 3 considerations for evaluating space needs when programming?
1. Number of people to be accommodated
2. Objects/equipment located in the space
3. Activity to take place
Continuous rows of seats accessed by two side aisles
Multiple aisle seating
Non-continuous rows of seating, accessed by intermediate and side aisles
What type of seating arrangement requires larger row to row seating?
Establishing common standards for rooms, spaces, activities based on measurement of similar facilities
Individual area, not including circulation, mechanical rooms, stairs, elevators, etc.
Net or net assignable area
What are secondary spaces when determining net area?
Mechanical rooms, elevator shafts, stairs, circulation paths
Also referred to as non assignable area
How do you determine space needs?
# of people x area needed
How do you determine gross area?
gross area = net area / efficiency
Net + non assignable area adds up to equal gross area
What is efficiency?
A ratio of net area to gross area
Commonly ranges from 60%-80%
What two things is rentable area based on the sum of?
1. Occupant area (area used exclusively by tenant’s own business / function
2. Prorated share of common areas used by all tenants
What is the calculation for rentable area?
Rentable area = Gross area x LF
LF = load factor
What are two methods of measuring rentable area according to ANSI / BOMA Z65.1?
1. Legacy method
2. Single load factor method
Method to measure rentable area. Uses different load factors for each floor. Uses R/U ratio (rentable area / usable area) for each floor
Single load factor method
Method to measure rentable area. Uses single load factor for all floors. Uses R/O ratio (net fl area/usable area)