Flashcards in Burnette 3rd quarter final Deck (39):
With which group was the world's first peace treaty created?
Who was the first leader to have a permanent army?
What was government like in Greece under Pericles?
Very successful Democracy
Paid citizens to serve on juries or hold office
Encouraged pride in city
Encouraged spread of Democracy
How was democracy in ancient Greece different from our current democratic government?
Athens had a direct democracy
U.S. today is a representative democracy
We have a division of power
Both men and women can vote in the U.S.
Citizens elect officials to represent and make deciions for them in the U.S.
(9) What was the most important result of the Neolithic Revolution?
Shift from food gathering to food producing
(10) Scribes had power in Sumerian society. What can you conclude from this statement?
People who could read and write were important
(11) What were the three major religions of Ancient China?
Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism
(12) What did the Etruscans and their Kings contribute to Roman society?
BUILT LARGE TEMPLES
TAUGHT ROMANS THEIR ALPHABET
BUILT ROME’S FIRST SEWER SYSTEM
(13) Identify the two key groups of people in Roman society and key points about each.
PATRICIANS - the wealthy upper class, minority, powerful nobles, originally held all power and finances
PLEBEIANS - common people, majority, gained right to participate in government, peasants, craftspeople, traders, other workers
(14) What were three rights that women had in ancient Egypt that made Egypt more progressive than most civilizations in ancient times?
RIGHT TO OWN LAND
RIGHT TO FILE FOR DIVORCE
RIGHT TO MANAGE BUSINESS
(16) What is the most important aspect of Hindu worship?
BEING A GOOD PERSON THROUGH THEIR DHARMA (DAILY OBLIGATION) AND KARMA
(17) What was "the Epic of Gilgamesh?"
THE FIRST WRITTEN PIECE OF LITERATURE (EPIC POEM) ABOUT A HERO AND A FLOOD
(19) What effect did farming have on people in the Stone Age?
ALLOWED PEOPLE TO BUILD PERMANENT SETTLEMENTS
(20) How were artists in ancient Egypt treated?
LIKE MERE LABORERS - UNDERAPPRECIATED AND NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED FOR THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
(22) Why might cities grow along rivers? (3 reasons)
PROVIDES FERTILE LAND FOR FOOD
(23) What happens when people have a steady food source?
PEOPLE CAN STAY IN ONE PLACE AND CREATE A CIVILIZATION (WITH DIVISION OF LABOR)
(24) What did Greece do to increase trade in the Mediterranean?
ESTABLISHED COLONIES ALL AROUND THE MEDITERRANEAN
25. What would a human geographer study? (4 things)
(26) Give an example of a region defined by physical characteristics.
BASICALLY ANY LANDFORM OR LANDSCAPE… NOT TREES!!!
(27) Give an example of relative location
WEMS IS NEXT TO WEHS
BURGER KING IS NEXT TO HARDEE’S
JAPAN IS EAST OF CHINA
MEXICO IS SOUTH OF THE U.S.
(28) How can landforms affect people's lives?
KEEPS PEOPLE ISOLATED SO THEY DON’T SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE
INFLUENCES WHERE PEOPLE SETTLE
INFLUENCES WHAT JOBS ARE AVAILABLE
29. What landforms would attract a large settlement? (3)
30. What can be found on a physical map? (3)
BODIES OF WATER
(31) Give examples of Human/Environment Interaction (3)
MINING FOR COAL
IRRIGATING A FIELD OF CROPS
32. What is a political map?
A MAP THAT SHOWS HOW HUMANS DIVIDED THE EARTH AMONG THEMSELVES INTO COUNTRIES OR STATES
(34) China was isolated because of...
NATURAL BARRIERS SUCH AS MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS
(35) What does the following statement imply?
Egypt is the gift of the Nile
--Herodotus, Greek Historian
THE NILE SUPPORTS CIVILIZATION IN EGYPT
36. Ancient civilizations in Mesopotamia & Egypt have what key geographic factor in common?
BOTH ARE RIVER VALLEY CIVILIZATIONS DUE TO THE NEED TO IRRIGATE CROPS
37. Which area of the world was settled last?
(38) Create a sequence of events to show how Mesopotamia developed.
FIRST - PEOPLE SETTLED WHERE CROPS WOULD GROW.
THEN - POPULATION GREW.
THEN - VILLAGES & CITIES FORMED
39. Why did settlements in Egypt cluster around the Nile?
IT WAS A SOURCE OF FRESH WATER IN AN AREA THAT WAS MOSTLY DESERT.
40. What was the main reason that the Roman trade network grew?
THE NEED TO BRING IN FOOD FROM OTHER PARTS OF THE MEDITERRANEAN FOR THEIR GROWING POPULATION
41. What place in ancient Rome was the center of life in Roman society?
42. How do we know Spartans valued strength?
AS PART OF THEIR TRAINING, BOYS RAN, JUMPED, THREW JAVELINS, AND WENT THROUGH ENDURANCE EXERCISES.
43. What would be the main difference between Athenian & Spartan women in Greece?
WOMEN IN SPARTA WERE STRONG AND ATHLETIC, WOMEN IN ATHENS WERE NOT.
(44) What happens to Greece because of the Peloponnesian War?
SPARTA BECAME THE MOST POWERFUL CITY-STATE
RESENTMENT LEADS TO A PERIOD OF WAR BETWEEN CITY-STATES
WEAKENED GREECE WOULD OPEN IT UP TO BE CONQUERED BY AN OUTSIDE FORCE IN YEARS TO COME
(45) Why is the legend of the Gordian (Gordium) knot important to the history of Alexander the Great?
IT WAS AN OMEN TO PROVE TO HIS TROOPS AND HIS ENEMIES THE OUTCOME OF HIS MISSION TO CONQUER THE KNOWN WORLD WAS POSSIBLE
47. Who attacked Rome in the Second Punic War?