Flashcards in C1 Atomic Structure Deck (23):
What is an element
A substance made of one type of atom
What is a compound
2. A substance made of two or more elements chemically combined.
3. What is a mixture?
3. A substance made of two or more elements or compounds NOT chemically combined.
4. What technique do you use to separate water from salt water?
4. Distillation. The water will evaporate and then condense. The salt will remain.
5. What technique do you use to separate sand from salt water?
5. Filtration. The sand will be left in the filter (residue).
6. How many atoms are in a molecule of CO2
7. How many elements are in a molecule of CO2
7. 2 (carbon and oxygen)
8. Write the word equation for the reaction between iron and oxygen to make iron oxide.
8. Iron + oxygen iron oxide
9. Balance this symbol equation
Mg + O2 MgO
2 Mg + O2 2 MgO
Describe the plum pudding model of the atom.
10. A sphere of positive charge with small negatively charged electrons scattered in it.
What two conclusions were made from the alpha particle scattering experiments.
The mass of an atom is concentrated in the centre (nucleus). The nucleus is charged.
How did Bohr and Chadwick improve the atomic model?
Bohr discovered Electron shells and Chadwick discovered neutrons
13. What is the radius of the atom?
How big is radius of the nucleus compared to the radius of the atom?
1/10,000 time smaller
What is 1nm in metres in standard form?
1 x 10-9 m
What is the relative mass of protons, neutrons and electrons?
17. What is the relative charge of protons, neutrons and electrons?
17. +1, 0 , -1
What does the atomic number tell you about an atom?
The number of protons (which is equal to the number of electrons)
What does the mass number tell you about an atom?
19. The total number of protons and neutrons.
How many protons, neutrons and electrons are in sodium (Mass no = 23, Atomic no = 11)?
11, 12, 11
21. How do atoms become ions?
Lose or gain electrons
What is an isotope?
Same atomic number (number of protons), different number of neutrons