Flashcards in CAL: Camelid Anaemia Deck (9)
> cause of the murmur here?
3 sick alpacas out of 60 herd
- poor BCS
- lethargy, dperession, anorexia, cold, pale mm, poor gut sounds, ^HH ^ RR
- 2 have murmurs grade II/VI, systolic PMI left
- 1 alpaca 5 mo pregnant, has just weaned 1 cria, 1 aplaca 3mo preg is 20 months old
Haemic murmur d/t changes in viscosity of blood
Stocking density recommendation for alpacas?
5-7 adult alpacas per acre
Vaccinations needed by alpacas?
- vax against clsotridial dz annually and against BTV8 in UK
- worming (with more than just ivermectin!)
What feacal sample test is more sensitvie for camelids?
See CAL for good overview of ruminant eggs
What wormer is nematodirus not sensitive to?
How can parasites and aanaemia be linked?
Overwhelming GI parasitism can cause anaemia and hypoproteinaemia
- invovlvement of haemonchus suspected if severe anaemia
How is haemochus dx?
- feacal culture (takes 7-10d)