Flashcards in Cerebellar Examination Deck (10)
What are the steps in cerebellar examination?
1. General observation
2. Assess speech
4. Upper limbs
5. Lower limbs
What is looked for on general observation in cerebellar examination?
- Abnormal movements
- Abnormal speech
- Telangiectasia on conjunctiva
How should you assess speech in cerebellar examination?
Ask them some questions, while taking note of stuttering or dysarthria
How should you assess the eyes in cerebellar examination?
- Look for nystagmus
- Assess eye movements, especially on moving the eyes to the extremes of horizontal gaze
What should you assess for in the limbs in cerebellar examination?
What is usually found on assessment of tone in cerebellar disorders?
How do you assess for co-ordination in the upper limbs?
- Dysmetria using finger-nose test
- Piano playing (ask child to play imaginary keyboard)
How do you assess for co-ordination in the lower limbs?
- Heel-shin test
- Toe-tapping (ask child to tap your hand with the sole of their right foot as quickly as possible
How do you assess gait in cerebellar examination?
Ask child to walk normally and then heel-toe