Flashcards in Cranial Nerve Examination Deck (39)
What is it useful to do when examining an older child?
Consider each area of the nervous system individually - the cranial nerves, cerebellum, upper limb, lower limb, and gait
What is cranial nerve I (1)?
What is cranial nerve II (2)?
What is cranial nerve III (3)?
What is cranial nerve IV (4)?
What is cranial nerve V (5)?
What is cranial nerve VI (6)?
What is cranial nerve VII (7)?
What is cranial nerve VIII (8)?
What is cranial nerve IX (9)?
What is cranial nerve X (10)?
What is cranial nerve XI (11)?
What is cranial nerve XII (12)?
What does CN 3 innervate?
- Ciliary muscles
- Sphincter of pupils
- All external muscles of eye except superior oblique and lateral rectus
What does CN 4 innervate?
Superior oblique muscle
What does CN 5 innervate?
Sensory to face, sinuses, and teeth
What does CN 6 innervate?
Lateral rectus muscle
What does CN 7 innervate?
Muscles of face
What does CN 7 innervate via the intermediate nerve?
- Motor to submandibular, sublingual, and lacrimal glands
- Taste to anterior 2/3 of tongue
- Sensory to soft palate
What does CN 8 divide into?
- Cochlear nerve
- Vestibular nerve
What does CN 9 innervate?
- Taste to posterior 1/3 of tongue
- Sensory to tonsils, pharynx, and middle ear
- Motor to stylopharyngess, upper pharyngeal muscle, and parotid gland
What does the CN 10 innervate?
- Motor to heart, lungs, palate, pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, and GI tract
- Sensory to heart, lungs, trachea, bronchi, larynx, pharynx, GI tract, external ear
What does CN 11 innervate?
What does CN 12 innervate?
How is CN 1 tested?
Asking patient if they have noticed any change in their sense of smell
If test done, each nostril in turn
How is CN 2 tested?
- Visual acuity
- Visual fields
- Pupillary reflexes
What pupillary reflexes should be tested?
Direct and consensual responses to lift, then accommodation
How should CN 3, 4, and 6 be tested?
Ask child to fix and follow on an object (light from pen torch is best in children)
How should the motor component of CN 5 be tested?
- Ask child to open their mouth whilst you try and close it
- Clench teeth together and feel muscle mass of masseters