Flashcards in Citizenship Deck (20)
Constitution deals with Citizenship in
Articles 5 to 11
Provisions of citizenship regarding person domiciled in India in its commencement
Article 6 deals with
persons migrated from Pakistan
Article 7 deals with
persons migrated to Pakistan but later returned
Article 8 deals with
persons of Indian origin residing outside India
Article 9 states
Persons voluntarily acquiring citizenship of a foreign state not to deemed as citizens of India.
NO DUAL CITIZENSHIP
Article 10. implies
Continuance of citizenship will be subjected to the provisions of laws made by Parliament
Article 11 :
Parliament has the absolute power to make provisions wrt acquisition, termination and all matters regarding citizenship.
Ways of acquiring citizenship under the Citizenship Act of 1955
1. By Birth
2. By Descent
3. By Registration
4, By Naturalisation
5. By Incorporation of Territory
6. Special Provisions covered by the Assam Accord
Criteria for acquiring Citizenship by birth
those born in India on or after 3r December, 2004 whose both parents are Indian citizens or one parent is an Indian citizen and the other is not an illegal migrant
Ways of losing citizenship under Citizenship Act of 1955
1. By renunciation
2. By termination
3. By deprivation
Overseas Citizenship was recommended by
L M Singhvi Committee
OCI scheme was introduced by
The Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2005
OCI scheme is exempted for citizens of
Pakistan and Bangladesh
Rights enjoyed by OCI Cardholder
1.entitled to multi purpose, multiple entry lifelong visa
2. Special immigration counters at international airports
3. exempted from police reporting for any lengthy stay
4. Can open bank accounts, own non farm property and acquire PAN card
5. parity with NRIs in economical, educational and financial fields.
Restrictions for OCI Cardholders
1. do not enjoy Employment rights in GoI and cannot hold constitutional offices
2. No voting rights
3. Cannot own agricultural or plantation properties
4. Require prior permission to undertake missionary, tabligh, mountaineering and research activities in restricted areas.
What is renunciation of citizenship?
A citizen can make a declaration renouncing the Citizenship.
What is deprivation of citizenship?
Compulsory termination by central government
What is Termination of citizenship?
When Indian citizen acquires citizenship of another country, his Indian citizenship is automatically terminated