Flashcards in Class #11 - Correctional/Rural Health Deck (12):
Common health challenges in correctional health (CH)?
- Substance abuse
- Infectious diseases: STDs, HIV, TB
- Mental illness - deinstitutionalized
Nurses Primary prevention in CH?
- health promotion
- political involvement
- classification of stressors
Nurses Secondary prevention in CH?
-substance abuse treatment
-suicide risk assessment
- Emergency/trauma care
Nurses tertiary prevention in CH?
- Case management
- community reintegration
- relapse prevention
- EOL care/pall. care
Diversion programs (CH)?
redirect clients with mental illness away from correctional facilities
Difficult access to clients
Harm-reduction, not understood by correctional officers
Rural different approach to defining it?
Social: Nature of community
Technical def of rural subdivisions?
1. non-isolated: road access <90km to physician
2. Semi-isolated: Road access to physician >90km.
3. Isolated: good telephone services, scheduled airflights, no road access.
4. Remote, isolated: No scheduled flights, minimal telephone/radio, no road.
Occupational: farming (medium-sized = high incidence of injury), oil, gas, mining
- lower income
- lower education
- aging pop.
- less access to specialized care
- Stronger sense community belonging
- Some have improved life expectancy
- lower risk of some cancers
- less stress
Nursing characteristics in rural health?
Environment: isolation, knowing pt personally, limited research, retention difficulties
Practice: autonomy, change, complex task infrequently, confidentiality