Flashcards in Class #4 - Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) Deck (19):
behaviors causing physical, psy or sexual harm in relationships.
types of IPV?
controlling behaviors: isolating from family, restrictions on financial resources
Female from 25-29
3X women suffering serious injury
LGBTQ2: high risk but invisible
Individual risk factors?
- Prior IPV
- Exposure as child
- Substance abuse
- age diff.
- indigenous women
Society risk factors?
- gender inequitable societies
- low social status
- weak legal sanctions
Health consequences on women?
-Physical: irritable bowel syndrome, chronic pain syndrome.
- Sexual: infertility, STDs, unwanted pregnancy
- Psyc: Drug abuse, sleep disorders, PTSD, depression, suicide
Health consequence on children?
allergies, somatic complaints, GI disorders, sleep problem.
anxiety, depression, attachment problems, low school performance, hyperactivity
Cycle of violence?
1. Tension building
4. Calm (honeymoon)
Idea of escalating, the pattern become faster and faster.
IPV perpetrator typology?
1. Intimate terrorism: Control
2. Situational violence: Setting dependent
3. Violent resistance: "im gonna hit first" idea
4. Mutual Violence: Both partners violent
Decision-making process of leaving?
- Fear for family safety: greatest risk for homicide is when she leaves.
- Low self-esteem
- Hope for change
- Lack knowledge of resources
Screening for IPV should be standard/routine practice >12: Gender makes no difference and disclosure occurs when directly asked.
Why start screening at 12?
- Opportunity for education: 12-14 consent to sex if 2 years difference. 14-16 can consent to sex if age diff. <5 years and no position of power.
- Dont understand dynamic of control in a relationship
- Time where relationship are developed
- IPV once = greater risk of occurence
- assess safety
- explore options
HARK questions? Within the last year have you been ...
Documentation should include?
observation made by nurse
Upstream strategies to prevent IPVs?
- Teach healthy relationships
-Engage influential adults
-Disrupt pathway toward IPV
-Create protective Envir.
-Strengthen economic support
-Support survivors to increase safety
Children witnessing IPV victim of child abuse?
Sx: Exaggerated startle reflex, negative affect, intrusive memories, avoid reminders of trauma