Flashcards in De Ordine - Ghirlanda (The Canonical Oracle) (Prepared: Hastings) Deck (68)
1008: From among whom are the sacred ministers established?
The Christian faithful
"inter christifideles quidam"
1008: What is the significance of sacred ministers having come from among the Christian faithful? (Hint: VatII)
There are two important points here:
1. There is a starting equality, a fundamental identity as Christian faithful first and sacred minister second
2. This is not an order that is separate from the Christian faithful in fractured way, but in a way that is directed to the service of the Christian faithful
1008: What three things happen to the sacred minister when he becomes one?
He is constituted, consecrated and deputed
1008: To what end is the sacred minister established as such?
-->To serve the people of God
What kind of service?
1. Service that is nourishing
2. Service that is fatherly
3. Service that is connected to Christ via the apostles (n.b. the threefold munera mentioned in the canon)
1008: By what cause are sacred ministers established?
By the sacrament of orders ("sacramento ordinis": note the ablative absolute of sacramento)
1008: What does the Sacrament of orders give?
an indelible character that cannot be taken away
1008: How does the sacrament of orders set a man apart? How does it not set a man apart?
It is not done in a strictly functional way, but in such a way that the consecration affects a man's being
1008: Deacons: Is the character of the sacrament of orders for deacons defined? How does to code answer this?
Not yet solemnly. The CIC aassumes that there is a character, as does the CCC.
1008: Important notes: Why does the canon start out with "ex divina insitutione"?
Because we can't tinker with the Sacrament. It is from God.
1008: Important notes: Why does the canon say "pro suo quisque gradu"?
The hierarchical distinctions are important because the nature of the Church is hierarchical. These are not cosmetic distinctions.
1008: Quaestio: What are the two types of priesthood?
Baptismal and Ministerial
1008: Quaestio: How many priesthoods does Our Lord have?
1008: Quaestio: How can the two priesthoods in the Church exist when Our Lord has only one priesthood?
1. Both are ways to share in the priesthood of Christ
2. They are ordered to each other
3. They are difference in essence, not just degree
1008: Quaestio: What is specific to the ministerial priesthood? How can the priest act in relation to Christ?
1. In the name of Christ: The origin of jurisdiction
2. In the person of Christ: For the Sacraments when they function ex opere operato
1008: Pastores Gregis: Which paragraph of this is Ghirlanda's favorite?
1008: What does PG 10 explain about the two priesthoods?
1. They are two ways of participating in Christ's priesthood.
2. They are supremely joined in the Holy Cross.
3. What is new about Christianity is that the priesthood is not just cultic, exercised only in the sacred places, but exercised in everyday life by those who are not cultic priests. Both types are essential.
1008: What does PG 10 say about the fundamental objective of each type of priesthood?
Common: Offering of self and life
Ministerial: Mediation of the life of Christ
1008: Talk a bit about how LG 10's "different in essence, not only in degree" for the two priesthoods can be resolved.
Well, it can't be both. For example, an acorn and an oak tree differ in degree and not essence. An acorn and a rock differ in essence and cannot differ in degree qua essence. In other words, the rock can never be more or less like a the acorn qua acorn. So, this must simply be emphatic. The two priesthoods aren't merely different in degree, but are different in essence. In other words, don't read what it isn't saying.
1009: What is the burning questione Ghirlandese?
What is the difference between Apostles, Bishops, Priests and Deacons?
1009: Are bishops and priests (presbyter not sacerdos) different in degree or essence?
1009: Are (bishops and priests) different from deacons in essence or degree?
1009: How are apostles and bishops different?
Apostles: Each has the fullness of the priesthood of Christ and each has the charism of infallibility
Bishops: Each has the gullness of the priesthood of Christ, but only the Roman Pontiff and the Bishops gathered together have the charism of infallibility
1009: How are bishops and priest different?
They have differing shares in the apostolic munus, but the same sacra potestas
1009: So, what is the logic ratio or apostles, bishops and priests?
1009: Which munera come from the sacrament of order?
Docendi and Regendi
1009: Does jurisdiction come from orders?
1009: Which are true and which are false:
1. Bishops have more sacra potestas than priests.
2. Bishops have more power of jurisdiction than priests.
3. Bishops have more apostolic munus than priests.
1009: Deacons: To what are deacons ordained?
1009: Deacons: To what are deacons not ordained?